Dental Hygiene & Exams
Keeping your child's smile out of harm's way!
The Importance of Dental Hygiene & Exams
Comprehensive exams allow us to detect cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems at an early stage, well before it is visible to the naked eye.
Our pediatric dentist will also monitor the growth and development of your child’s face and jaw as well as the eruption of permanent teeth and loss of baby teeth. In doing so, we can anticipate, intervene, and treat dental problems before becoming bigger, painful, and expensive ones.
And no matter how well your little surfers take care of their teeth, they still need regular cleanings. It’s nearly impossible to remove all the plaque-building bacteria while brushing and flossing. As it hardens into tartar, it must be removed by a dentist or dental hygienist.
This is a vital step in preventing gum disease and cavities. By maintaining routine exams and cleanings, your child will grow up understanding the importance of combining at-home hygiene with going to the dentist, which they will LOVE by the way.
What to Expect During an Exam & Cleaning
Our goal is to prevent dental problems and establish healthy habits that help your children for the rest of their lives.
- Preventative ExamOur pediatric dentist, Dr. Jared Lothyan, will thoroughly examine your child’s teeth and gums for signs of cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems.
The dentist may recommend digital x-rays to take a closer look at what’s happening in-between the teeth, under the gums, and in the surrounding bone. X-rays can also show us the future growth of your child’s teeth and anticipate their needs.
Digital x-rays are safe, reducing exposure to radiation by 90%. Plus, they are very effective in the early detection of dental problems.
If your child would benefit from sealants and time allows, we can often complete this treatment in tandem with their cleaning.
- Periodontal ExamOur dentist or a dental hygienist will perform a periodontal exam to determine the health of your child’s gum tissue.
Oral health, particularly gum disease, has been linked to overall health issues, including heart disease, diabetes, and strokes.
By routinely checking the health of your child’s gums, we can better keep them out of harm’s way.
- CleaningA dental hygienist (AKA Surf Instructor) will thoroughly clean your child’s teeth of any plaque build-up (tartar or calculus). This will help prevent gum disease and cavities.
Next, we will floss and polish the teeth to remove plaque and stains. Your child will be able to choose from a variety of yummy polish flavors.
Lastly, we will apply a topical fluoride varnish on their teeth to prevent cavities. With this type of fluoride, your child can eat and drink right away.
- Education & TreatmentKnowledge is power, and that’s what we aim to give you.
Our dentist and hygienist will:
- Discuss total wellness, including diet, hygiene, and breaking habits (like thumb sucking)
- Discuss treatment recommendations based on their findings
- Share tips on how to prevent dental problems
- Demonstrate how to brush and floss properly (always in a fun, age-appropriate manner)
- Answer any questions you or your children have
When you leave an exam and cleaning, we want you to feel informed and educated on your child’s health.
And as always, we want your child to leave with a positive association of their oral health and going to the dentist.
Our kiddos can't wait to go to the dentist. From the fun beach theme to the movies for kiddos, they are happy as clams. As parents, we appreciate the stellar staff. Our dentist names the teeth with princess or superhero names depending on who he's working with! We have cavity-free teeth because of brushing and flossing AND our amazing dentistry team at Smile Surfers. THANK YOU!
Philip S. (5-Star Google Review)
Why Choose Smile Surfers Kids Dentistry?
We get it. As adults, the phrase “I love going to the dentist” might seem far fetched. But imagine if Smile Surfers Kids Dentistry was around when you were a kid… Wouldn’t you love going to the dentist too?
We hope by teaching your child about preventative care and creating positive dental experiences today, they will continue to maintain their oral health for the rest of their lives.
So, how do we make dentistry fun?
FAQs About Dental Exams and Cleanings
- How often does my child need to see the pediatric dentist?
- When should I take my child to the dentist for the first check-up?The Opens new tab to official websiteAmerican Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends your children see a pediatric dentist when their first tooth appears or no later than their first birthday.
- How safe are dental x-rays?At Smile Surfers, we put your child’s health as our #1 priority.
That means we utilize digital x-rays, which are entirely safe and reduce exposure to radiation by 90% when compared to traditional x-rays.
- What other dental services do you offer?Smiles Surfers Kids Dentistry is proud to offer pediatric dental services to communities throughout Washington, including Sumner, Puyallup, Tacoma, Richland, Kennewick, and Pasco.
In addition to hygiene and exams, we offer:
- Fillings and Crowns
- Baby Root Canal
- Sealants and Fluoride
- Space Maintainers
- Sedation Dentistry
- Infant and Adolescent Care
- Pediatric Dental Emergencies
Click here to learn more about each of these services.
- Have more questions?